Children are accepted from as early as the age of two and are expected to progress from Kindergarten to Lower Primary and eventually into Upper Primary. We have a professional and highly motivated staff force that work with parents to make learning effective.
In kindergarten level we focus strongly on 3 prime areas which are the basis of successful learning in the other four specific areas
• Personal social and emotional development (P.S. Ed)
• Physical development (P.D)
• Communication language and Literacy (C.L.L.)
• Helping children to develop a positive sense of themselves and others
• To form a positive relationship and develop respect for others
• To develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings
• To understand and appreciate behavior in groups and to have confidence in their own abilities.
As children grow in confidence and ability within the 3 prime areas the balance will slowly shift towards more equal focus on all areas of learning, including;
• Knowledge and Understanding of the world ( K.U.W)
• Expressive arts and design
Literacy development involves encouraging children to read and write through listening to others reading and being encouraged to begin to read and write for themselves.
We provide a wide range of materials, story books, poems and other reading material to ignite their interest.
Knowledge and Understanding of the world involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places and the environment
Expressive arts and design involves supporting children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials as well as providing opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in art, music and movement, dance, role play and design.
Children progress in each area is continually assessed so that their development needs are met early.
Activities that are covered in our class are;
- Numeracy: learners have been able to learn how to rote count numbers, number recognition, shapes and matching numbers.
- Literacy: learners have enjoyed learning letter sounds, colors, matching sounds to pictures, drawing, news telling/ show and tell.
- Art and craft :Learners have gained skills on how to paint, cutting and tearing, sticking, coloring, pasting, printing, and modeling.
The main activities and learning undertaken include:
- Language activities- the learners learn common greetings, listening and speaking, practice pre reading and pre writing skills.
- Mathematical activities-the learners practice classification i.e. sorting and grouping, matching and pairing, ordering and pattern work.
- Psychomotor and creative activities- the learners scribble, color, paint, make patterns, collage, and mosaic and make prints using different materials. They also model, do paper crafts construction and beadwork.
- Environmental activities, the learners learn about “myself” our school, our home, interpersonal relationship (use of courteous words) hand washing, dressing.
- Religious activities- the students learn about Gods creation i.e. who is God, myself and my family as God’s creation. We also learn about the Bible and Christian rituals and values.
The pupils in pp2 cover the following areas: Language activities, Mathematical activities, Environmental activities, Psychomotor, creative and Music activities and Religious activities.
- Language is a way of expressing own ideas and feelings, pupils get to develop reading readiness skills and apply them in their daily life, in mathematics pupils get to develop logical and critical thinking, accuracy and problem solving.
- Psychomotor and creative activities enable students to engage in gross motor skills, explore different talents and appreciate own and other cultures through music.
- Religious education activities are geared towards growth of learners morally and spiritually and demonstration of God’s love through all creation in their lives.